Eight Weeks Before
- Remove unnecessary items from your attic, basement,
storage shed, etc.
- Use things you can't move, such as frozen foods and
- Obtain information about your new community.
- Secure a floor plan of your new residence and decide
what household items you want to keep.
- Start a possessions inventory.
- Solicit estimates from at least three moving
- Call your homeowners insurance agent to find out to
what degree your move is covered.
- Create a file for documenting all moving papers and
- Arrange to transfer your children's school records.
Six Weeks Before
- Contact the IRS and/or your CPA for tax-deductible
- Evaluate your possessions inventory. Can you donate
anything? Do you need it all?
- Notify your friends, relatives, professionals,
creditors, subscriptions, etc.
- Subscribe to a local paper in your new community and
familiarize yourself with local government, community,
and social news and activities.
- Begin the off-site storage process (if applicable).
- Locate high-quality health-care professionals and
hospitals in your new location.
- Complete a change of address via post-office cards
or an online service for the following:
- Charge cards;
- Religious organizations;
- Relatives and friends;
- Income tax bureau/Social Security
- Insurance broker/lawyer/CPA/ stockbroker;
- Post office; and
- Clean your closets.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to
- Choose a mover.
- Contact your mover to make arrangements and inquire
about insurance coverage.
- If relocating due to a job, contact your employer to
see what costs, if any, they will cover.
Four Weeks Before
- Start packing!
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for
repair/cleaning as needed.
- Gather auto licensing and registration documents,
medical, dental and school records, birth certificates,
wills, deeds, stock and other financial documentation,
- Contact gas, electric, oil, water, telephone, cable
TV, and trash collection companies for service
disconnect/connect at your old and new addresses. Also
ask for final readings.
- Request refunds on unused homeowner's insurance,
security deposit with landlord, and prepaid cable
- Notify your gardener, snow removal service, and pool
service (if applicable).
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowner's,
medical, and life) to arrange for coverage in your new
Three Weeks Before
- Make your travel plans.
- Arrange to close current bank accounts and open
accounts in your new locale (if necessary).
- Notify your state's Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new
- Arrange for childcare on moving day.
apartment dwellers, reserve the elevator for pickup and/or